The Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) under the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a mechanism for consumers and others to file a complaint with RESPA if RESPA violations are being committed or you believe that RESPA violation is being committed. If a complaint is going to be filed with the RESPA division please make sure you follow the following steps so your complaint gets the most attention from the investigators:

1. List the names,addresses, and phone numbers of the alleged violators of RESPA;
2. Write a detailed summary of what happened or what’s happening that leads you to believe that a violation is taking or has taken place;
3. Make sure you list the specific section of the RESPA statute that was violated. Often times regulators or investigators will miss even the most generic of violations so listing the appropriate violations will help them do their job better;
4. Check your spelling and make sure the complaint is coherent and easily understood to the reader; and 5. Include your name, phone number, and address in the complaint so that an investigator can contact you for more information, if they need to contact you. RESPA Complaints can be submitted confidentially to HUD as well. If you believe you have a potential litigation matter with RESPA to HUD, I would recommend that you submit your complaint to your attorneys prior to submission to the HUD office or let your attorneys file the complaint for you.

Once you are ready to send your RESPA violations complaint, you will send it to this address:
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of RESPA and Interstate Land Sales
451 7th Street, SW, Room 9154 Washington, D.C. 20410

The RESPA Division does have a limited number of staff, fewer than 30, and the number of violations is in the thousands so the more detailed and professional the complaint is the more weight it will carry.

If you need assistance preparing a RESPA violation complaint please contact the Sterbcow Law Group and we can assist you for a nominal fee.

Contact Information