The Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) under the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a mechanism for consumers and others to file a complaint with RESPA if RESPA violations are being committed or you believe that RESPA violation is being committed. If a complaint is going to be filed with the RESPA division please make sure you follow the following steps so your complaint gets the most attention from the investigators:

1. List the names,addresses, and phone numbers of the alleged violators of RESPA;
2. Write a detailed summary of what happened or what’s happening that leads you to believe that a violation is taking or has taken place;
3. Make sure you list the specific section of the RESPA statute that was violated. Often times regulators or investigators will miss even the most generic of violations so listing the appropriate violations will help them do their job better;
4. Check your spelling and make sure the complaint is coherent and easily understood to the reader; and 5. Include your name, phone number, and address in the complaint so that an investigator can contact you for more information, if they need to contact you. RESPA Complaints can be submitted confidentially to HUD as well. If you believe you have a potential litigation matter with RESPA to HUD, I would recommend that you submit your complaint to your attorneys prior to submission to the HUD office or let your attorneys file the complaint for you.

Once you are ready to send your RESPA violations complaint, you will send it to this address:
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of RESPA and Interstate Land Sales
451 7th Street, SW, Room 9154 Washington, D.C. 20410

The RESPA Division does have a limited number of staff, fewer than 30, and the number of violations is in the thousands so the more detailed and professional the complaint is the more weight it will carry.

If you need assistance preparing a RESPA violation complaint please contact the Sterbcow Law Group and we can assist you for a nominal fee.

Posted in:
  • Kelly Sady

    My Husband and i who are first time home bouyers are about to close escrow on friday on the house we have actually been renting for the past 2 years. When the time came that our landlords/sellers wanted to sell the home they gave us first pick, but REQUIRED us to get pre-qualified with one of their lenders before the would accept an offer from us. We declined because we felt it was a conflict of interest especially because one of the landlords is a real estate agent herself. So we looked else where but ultimately decided to find our own lender, get pre-qualified with them and submit an offer. To some hesitation our landlords/sellers accepted the offer and have been nothing but a nightmare during the whole process. I want to know what our rights our. Our lender told us what they required of us to use their lender even just for pre-qualification was called “”steering” and illegal. Just wanted to get some clarifications and advice. Should we report her? Seeing as how she is a real estate agent currently im sure this isnt the first time she has required this of a buyer. It just seems super dishonest and wrong. We are finally closing friday…thank goodness!!

  • Concerned Party

    Section 9 clearly states it is Buyer’s choice. How does that allow Lender’s to dictate? We have a Lender here that owns their title company and they absolutely dictate that people use their own title company. There is a realty office that most of the realtors are on the Board for that same Lender, so they actually pre-write their title company of choice on the purchase agreement. I see these as blatant violations of Section 9 of RESPA.

    Section 9 states…

    Section 9 of RESPA prohibits home sellers from requiring home buyers to purchase their settlement services from a particular company either directly or indirectly, as a condition of sale. Buyers may sue a seller who violates this provision for an amount equal to three times all charges made for the title insurance.

  • Tyna R

    I am the Seller of Estate and requested to receive 2 chks, 1 being made out to Pa Dept of Revenue to be mailed by me (seller) with my inheritance return. (other chk is proceeds), then I would file an over payment refund with Pa Dept of Revenue. They insist on holding monies in their escrow until I pay return with other funds and show them a ‘payment in full’ months later and wait for release of escrow. they are resisting my request. What is the Law requirement???

  • Brian Robert Murphy

    My concern is with my previous broker threatening me with withholding relocation business unless I used the broker’s affiliated title company. They then carried through on the threat and made it clear that I should leave the company.